At the OCB Figure Competition

At the OCB Figure Competition
Leslie celebrates completion of her first competition!

Leslie's Story in Brief...

46-year-old breast cancer survivor

diagnosed in March 2009

final surgery on June 4, 2010

Professor of Health and Exercise Science at Rowan University

Pastor's wife (of Stuart Spencer, Thompson Memorial Presbyterian Church in New Hope, PA)

Mother of Sam (age 12) and Miles (age 7)

Trained all through chemotherapy and radiation

Completed her first body building competition EVER on August 28, 2010!!

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Why and when did I decide to enter a body building contest?

Prior to my cancer diagnosis, I had been feeling the some of the burden of middle age.  It felt like my life was built on all of my RESPONSIBILITIES.  I was a wife, mother, home-maker, professional, and the spouse of a pastor. These are all wonderful things, but they all involve commitment and effort.  They also felt pretty predictable.  I was ready to have a new challenge; something personal, youthful and that would take people by surprise a bit. While I was very fit and healthy, most people would not have expected me to pose on stage in a glitter bikini and four-inch heels. It felt fun to take a risk and do something unpredictable.

At the start, I was pretty sure that I had the build and self-discipline to train for a body building competition.  Working out with Domenick and John every Monday and Wednesday was also very motivating.  I mentioned the idea to them one day and they were both immediate and sincere in telling me that they thought I had the potential to do it if I wanted to.

In early March (just before my cancer diagnosis), I was still debating whether or not to set this goal for myself.  After receiving my diagnosis, something changed for me and I knew I wanted to train and compete as a body builder.  Why?

First, it was something positive to look forward to and work toward during my cancer treatment.  Over 13 months, I had 4 surgeries (the last one will happen next week, June 4, 2010), 18 weeks of chemotherapy and 6 weeks of radiation.  It is a test of endurance, like running a marathon.  Often when I was feeling tired and sick, I would read about body building and imagine how great it would feel to walk across a stage in a beautiful, healthy, fit body.  My good friend and former student, Jason Kilderry, is a triathlete with an amazing story of his own.  After losing both kidneys and receiving a kidney transplant, Jason is preparing to hike the Appalachian Trail.  He was an inspiration to me as I faced my trial.  He says that thinking about and planning for his Trail hike kept him going through his low points during dialysis and surgery.  I understand that exactly, now.

Second, it is a symbol of my victory over cancer.  I've noticed that cancer has a way of aging people, both mentally and physically.  They can become less active, enjoy fewer things in life and seem to age more quickly.  A year of cancer treatment can appear to make a person seem five years older, from what I have observed.  I took it on as a personal challenge to not let this happen to me.  I was determined to remain active, to workout on a daily basis, eat very healthful foods,  take care of myself and enjoy my life through cancer treatment and beyond.  The idea of emerging from over a year of cancer treatment and entering a body building competition   was the perfect challenge for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment