At the OCB Figure Competition

At the OCB Figure Competition
Leslie celebrates completion of her first competition!

Leslie's Story in Brief...

46-year-old breast cancer survivor

diagnosed in March 2009

final surgery on June 4, 2010

Professor of Health and Exercise Science at Rowan University

Pastor's wife (of Stuart Spencer, Thompson Memorial Presbyterian Church in New Hope, PA)

Mother of Sam (age 12) and Miles (age 7)

Trained all through chemotherapy and radiation

Completed her first body building competition EVER on August 28, 2010!!

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Training After Surgery

Since my cancer diagnosis in March 2009, I have had four surgeries.  They include the double mastectomy, additional lymph node biopsy (both sides), a hysterectomy (open, not laparascopic) and  a final surgery to replace the tissue expanders in my chest with silicone implants.  The two hardest surgeries were the double mastectomy and hysterectomy; I experienced the most pain and limitations after these.  After the first three surgeries, I had one or more surgical drains in place and was advised by my surgeons to not lift anything heavy or engage in exercise beyond walking for six weeks.  My final surgery was simpler, and I was limited in my lifting and exercising for just 3 weeks.

I was very careful to follow my surgeon's directions after each surgery.  I did not lift heavy objects, run, or engage in any upper body weight training until I reached the 3 or 6 week mark.  I was committed to healing properly and not causing any damage to sites where I had surgery.  With that said, I was intentional about not being sedentary during this time of healing, as I knew that would not be good for my health or fitness goals.

The day after each of the first three surgeries, I got up out of bed and moved around the hospital room.  I was careful to sit down if I felt dizzy or in pain, but when I felt good, I would stand up again.  The day after the mastectomy and lymph node biopsy, I began a daily routine of "walking my fingers up the wall" to maintain my arm and shoulder range of motion.  This was critical to do as soon as possible.  Had I waited longer, it would have become much more difficult and painful to lift my arms.  (My fourth surgery was as an outpatient, and I was standing up an hour after I was awake in the recovery room.)

Each day after surgery, I would do a little more standing and walking in my house.  By the third or fourth day, I ventured outside and walked slowly up and down my street.  It was hard to do this with surgical drains in place, but it worked as long as I had the drains wrapped snugly against my body.  I also added in more stretching each day, progressing to a full-body stretching routine.  At one week post-surgery, I could walk a slow mile and then stretch.  During the second week post-surgery, I would take this one-mile walk twice each day.  Gradually, the walks became longer than one mile.  I also started adding some simple muscle toning exercises while at home.  I did calf raises and standing leg lifts while balancing myself against the wall.  Finally, I sat on a stability ball instead of a chair beginning the second week post-surgery.  While I did nothing more than sit on it at first, this helped me utilize my core muscles in a gentle way.  I then added some simple lower-body exercises while sitting on the ball.  I was very careful to maintain my balance and didn't do any movement that could have caused me to fall off the ball.

I was able to walk a mile because my pre-surgery fitness level was very high.  Someone who is less fit going into surgery should not try to walk, move and stretch as much as I did or as quickly as I was able to do it.  I never pushed myself; if I felt pain, fatigue or discomfort, I stopped and rested.  The walking and stretching felt great.  I think I needed less pain medication and slept better at night because of it.  I also know it helped me feel more optimistic and peaceful.  (Anyone who exercises on a regular basis knows its power to improve one's mental health.)

By the time I reached the 3 or 6 week date post surgery, I was feeling strong, flexible and ready to train again.  Each time, I took a week to build back up to my pre-surgery level of training, but it was not difficult to do this.  I'm convinced that the walking, moving and stretching I did during the six-week recovery period made the difference.  (I was also careful to eat well and include enough protein, water and complex carbohydrates.)

Because I wasn't completely sedentary and ate a nutrient-dense diet during the recovery period post-surgery, I lost little muscle mass and physical ability during those times.  This was very encouraging, as I was concerned that I would lose the fitness gains I had made prior to each surgery.  My fears that I would lose muscle and increase body fat weren't realized during any of these periods.

12 comments:

  1. Wow your story is so inspirational! I've just had a hysterectomy, and I've worried that I'll never be able to look good again, you banished all my fears, you look absolutely wonderful!! Well done and thank you for sharing you beautiful photos and video! -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome article! I want people to know just how good this information is in your article.
    Cheap Home Exercise Equipment

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog, I will keep visiting this blog very often. Skinny Yoked

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really impressed after read this because of some quality work and informative thoughts . I just wanna say thanks for the writer and wish you all the best for coming!. get steroids

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredible articles and awesome design. Your blog entry merits the greater part of the positive input it's been getting. phen375 gnc​

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm having a hysterectomy in a few months and am nervous about my fitness routine. you give me hope to return to baseline with a good recovery plan. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!! I am 47 yrs old and 1 month post op after vaginal laprascopic hysterectomy. I was very active prior to surgery and engaged in HIIT exercise classes up to 4 days before surgery. I am feeling stronger each day and I see myself being able to walk faster with each day. However, there have been a few times where I have walked alot and I feel a twinge of pain in my abdomen. Unfortunately, the doctor did not give clear exercise recommendations since most women my age aren't trying to do HIIT workouts or even do a 3 mile walk. So, I wanted to get feedback. Should I wait a full 12 weeks, or if I feel better, "just start"? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete